Sunday, June 20, 2010

Appetizer: Ham and Swiss Thumbprints


I'm making it my mission to try out some new appetizer recipes in the hopes of finding some good ones to take to various events this busy summer season. This recipe is a basic pate a choux, flavoured with black forest ham, swiss, and black pepper added in. It was tested on my significant other, who is my worst tester since I'm quite sure he'll tell me he likes everything, along with my parents and my brother in law. Even my dad, who is generally picky about food said they were "interesting". I always take that as a sign of approval.

Happy Dad's Day Dad, I sure love ya.



Ham and Swiss Thumbprints (Makes 36)

1/2 Cup Butter, cut into large pieces
1/2 Tsp Coarse Salt
1 Cup Water
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
4 Large Eggs
1/2 Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Cup Black Forest Ham, finely chopped or ground (2 ounces)
1 Cup Swiss Cheese, finely shredded, plus 36 cubes (1/2 inch) for centres

Preheat oven to 400F.

Bring butter, salt, and water to a boil in a large saucepan, over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add flour, and stir vigorously until incorporated. Continue to cook, stirring, until the mixture pulls away from the side of the pan and a thin film forms on the bottom of the pan, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, let cool 2 minutes.

Transfer dough to a large bowl. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating with a wooden spoon to incorporate each before adding the next, about 2 minutes. Stir in pepper, ham, and shredded cheese.

Spoon dough into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch star tip. On baking sheets lined with parchment paper, pipe rosettes about 1 1/2 inches wide, 2 inches apart. Make a deep indentation in the centre of each rosette with your thumb (dampen thumb with water to keep it from sticking). Bake, rotating sheets half way through, until crisp and golden, 25 to 30 minutes.

Remove from oven. Press a cheese cube into each indentation. Continue baking until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Serve warm.

Don't expect leftovers. :-)

1 comment: